Hayes Auctioneering Service began when David E. Hayes was licensed by the state of Indiana to practice auctioneering in February 1982. Dave graduated from auctioneer’s school in late 1981 and has been active in the business since then.
There have been many successful auctions conducted by the service which have proven profitable for both the client and the auctioneer. Following is a list of some of the more notable sales.
- 1982 Began practicing by conducting consignment and personal sales of general merchandise.
- 1983 Brazil, IN: Liquidation of antique shop inventory after the death of the shop owner. This extremely large sale consisted of all sorts of antiques including a wide variety of glassware and collectibles. The sale lasted two days.
- 1985 Libertyville, IN: Began selling real estate at auction with the sale of an older home and its contents. The house did sell, and the owners were pleased.
- 1992 Coatesville, IN: Antique and classic cars. Sold such autos as 1963 3-window coupe Corvette, 1909 Dodge touring car, 1940 Ford coupe and many more.
- 1992 Mansfield, IN: Began Annual Quilt Sale at the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival. This sale averages 1,000 quilts per year and continues to grow each fall.
- 1995 Terre Haute, IN: Vigo County Sheriff’s Auction. Began conducting a series of sales for the Vigo County Sheriff’s and other County Departments. Sold drug-seized merchandise, recovered stolen property and confiscated weapons.
- 1995 Terre Haute, IN: Liquidation of Vigo County Nursing Home. Sold over 150 roomfuls of nursing home equipment, furniture, and miscellaneous county owned merchandise.
- 1996 Terre Haute, IN: Fund raiser and inventory liquidation sale held for the Greater Terre Haute Area Home Builder’s Association. Merchandise of all types related to building products and many numerous unrelated items were sold during an all day sale lasting into the evening.
- 1998 Terre Haute, IN: Vigo County Sheriff’s Auction. Another sale of merchandise seized by the sheriff’s department.
- 1999 Terre Haute, IN: Vigo County Sheriff’s Auction. Sale of cars only for the department. Buyers came from Chicago, IL and all around. One of the more successful sales.
- 1999 Terre Haute, IN: Real Estate sold at auction on south ninth street. House and contents were sold. The home sold for $500 less than the appraised value.
This is only a partial listing of the numerous sales we have conducted in the past. Hayes Auction Service has conducted sales in the Indianapolis, Plainfield, and Columbus areas. We have sold merchandise including items from guns to livestock, automobiles to heavy equipment, collectibles to real estate. As community service we have helped such organizations as Vigo County 4-H, Vigo County Mental Health Association, Clothe-A Child Fundraiser, Laughline for Lifeline, and others. We continue to grow from year to year. We would love to add your sale to our growing list of highly successful auctions!